Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 45 mins | Serves: 4
Nutritional Information (per serve): Energy: 1058KJ | Protein: 17.5g | Fat: 2.0g | Fibre: 11.0g
Suitable for: Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Dairy Free
How to Serve
The colder months bring the need for comfort food, and nothing is more comforting than this hot lentil and vegetable soup that is perfect either on its own or with some crunchy croutons for dipping.
- 1 1/2 cups dried red lentils, washed
- 1 medium sweet potato, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cup broccoli, chopped
- 3 large silverbeet leaves, stalks removed, torn roughly
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 swede, roughly chopped
- 1 parsnip, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 handful of parsley or basil
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 medium clove garlic, crushed
- 2L water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Heat oil in large pot and sauté leek and garlic for 2-3 minutes or until slightly soft
- Add water to the pot, then add lentils and stir to combine.
- Add the vegetables, cumin, paprika and turmeric to the saucepan and slowly stir until combined.
- Season with most of the herbs, leaving a little to the side for garnish. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Gently simmer soup for around 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and add more water as required.
- Once all vegetables are softened and cooked through, serve in deep bowls and garnish with parsley or basil.
Image sourced from @Pintrest