Now that COVID-19 restrictions are starting to lift in many Australian states, some people are returning to the office. This means getting back in the routine of packing lunch and snacks to eat during your working day.
You may not have as much time on your hands in the mornings or easy access to your pantry, but if you plan and prepare ahead then healthy eating at work can super simple. Here’s a guide to make smart and healthy food choices at work.
1. Plan ahead
Each week when you do your groceries, write down some ideas on what you would like to eat for lunch and snacks and buy all the ingredients.
2. Meal prep
This doesn’t mean spending 3+ hours in the kitchen on a Sunday, you can simply cut up some veggies or cook some protein to throw into a salad or on a sandwich to take to work. Another great meal prep option for breakfast is overnight oats as you can grab them from the fridge and run out the door. Read more on how to nail meal prep here.
3. Balance your plate
Ensure your meals and snacks contain protein, fibre, healthy fats and lots of colour – this will ensure you are fuller for longer and will be less likely to reach for that 3pm sugar hit.
What are some healthy things to eat for lunch at work?
A healthy lunch should contain:
- Lean protein, such as chicken breast, tuna, tofu, lentils or legumes.
- High fibre slow release carbohydrates, such as whole grains, quinoa, sweet potato, brown rice.
- Healthy fats, such as avocado, extra virgin olive oil or nuts
- Last but certainly not least a variety of colour in your vegetables and/or fruit
Some healthy lunch examples include:
- Tuna, rice, avocado and salad
- Wholegrain wrap with chicken, cheese, salad and an apple
- Egg and salad sandwich with mayonnaise
- Leftovers such as vegetable curries, stir-fry etc
- Falafel nourish bowl with sweet potato, edamame, salad and olive oil dressing
- Mexican nourish bowl with mixed beans, cheese, corn and salad
What are some healthy snacks to eat at work?
Snacking between meals can help prevent overeating at main meals. However, it is important to snack on the right foods. A healthy snack should contain protein, fibre and some fats to help keep you satisfied until your next meal. Read more on why snacking is key to your weight loss success here.
Some healthy snack ideas include:
- Greek yoghurt with nuts and berries – our favourite brands include Chobani, YoPRO, Farmer’s union and Barambah Organics
- A smoothie made with banana, protein powder (or yoghurt), and peanut butter
- Wholegrain crackers with cheese slices, tomato and avocado
- Rice cakes with hummus and vegetable sticks
- Mezze plate – carrot, celery or capsicum sticks, a boiled egg, avocado, wholegrain crackers.
- A slice of grainy sourdough with:
- cream cheese & tomato
- ricotta & berries
- Avocado & smoked salmon
Healthy eating at work doesn’t need to be daunting, its all about being intentional and having a plan of attack. To help plan out your week use our H&PC Weekly Meal Plan & Shopping List.pdf (20 downloads) .